I needed to make a hat for David for Christmas. I think you might recall that my original plan was to make him the Fulled Lopi Tote. Well, that fell through. You see, I had offered to make him the tote a long time ago and we picked out yarn for it. He works at Michaels, so he said he’d get the yarn eventually with his employee discount. Well, months went by and he didn’t buy the yarn, so when I went to plan my holiday knitting list, I thought the tote would be perfect and I would use the yarn we picked out. Well, I went to Michaels to get it and David was there working. Somehow in the conversation, he let me know that he’d finally bought the yarn for the tote! Well, hell, now what to do? I couldn’t very well buy the yarn twice, so I called Uncle. He told me that since David spends a lot of time walking around town, he would probably really like a hat. Perfect!!! A hat would take only a fraction of the time that the tote would take, especially since I was going to have to make the tote twice the pattern size. But I didn’t want to make him a boring 2×2 ribbed cap, he deserves something a little more enatiled than that, so I went through the Raverly patterns and settled on the Irish Hiking hat, the companion to the Irish Hiking Scarf.
I’m really happy witht he way it came out. I decided to do the cable all the way up and I think it looks really good that way. This is one of the first cables I’ve done and I think I’m really getting the hang of it. I still feel awkward while doing it, but it’s getting better.
I’m sorry for the crappy photos. My plan had been to get some pictures of Ron wearing it, but when he put it on, it looked ridiculous on him. He just doesn’t have the face to wear this kind of hat. So, you get pictures of it on the bed.
Pattern: The Irish Hiking Hat by Blackhorsefree
Yarn: Bernat 4 in brown
Needles: Size 16″ 8 circs until the end and then I switched to DPNs
Started: November 23, 2008
Finished: November 25, 2008
Mods: The only thing I really changed was the fact that I did one extra cable near the top. Also, the pattern had some typing errors in the decrease. I was able to figure it out, but if I was new to knittig, I would have gone crazy trying to do it.