I’m making myself a monkey. Wait, that sounds wrong, I’m not making a monkey out of myself, I’m making a monkey for myself.
A sock yarn monkey, to be precise.
And it will be a traveling monkey, going off to see the world via the houses of other kitters. I think it’ll be grand fun.
But, before I can send my monkey off into the great unknown, I have to make it. And that’s what I’ve been working on for the past week or so. And that’s the reason I think I might be rockin’ awesome.
When I went looking for a pattern, I ran into 3 problems:
1. None of the patterns I found were written for sock yarn, they were most all for worsted.
2. I didn’t care for way the monkey looked in many of the patterns. The few that I did like were uber expensive, and I have a hard time spending that kind of money on something I could figure out on my own.
3. I didn’t like the construction of the monkey in many of the patterns. They were basically cones that you sewed arms, ears and a mouth to. Some of them didn’t even have a proper derier.
So, I took all of that into account, and decided to try to make my own monkey. Now, I haven’t been doing it totally blind, I am using this pattern by Rebecca Zelt for a reference. But, I’ve mainly only used it for starting the butt and finishing the head.
But, you are wondering to yourself, why the awesomeness? Well, it’s because of this:
It’s kind of hard to see, but that is my monkey’s original butt. I’m sorry for the icky pictures, but I was at Mom’s and only had my cell with me.
So, my monkey’s butt…I made it too….um, long, I guess is what you’d call it. My monkey had a little too much junk in his trunk.
The error was that I knew I needed to do a short row heel, but I didn’t know how many stitches to wrap on each side. I left 11 stitches unwrapped and that was the wrong amount. I discovered I should have left, like, 19 unwrapped. But, I couldn’t tell that it was funky until I was well on into the back.
That’s not entirely true. I had my suspisions while I was finishing up the butt, but I thought maybe it was just me. Then, when I started working up the back, I though maybe the thing just needed to be stuffed.
Yeah, I was in denial for quite awhile. And, when I finally admitted that I needed to fix the posterier of my monkey, I was so far up the back that I was almost ready for the arms. I wasn’t about to rip all the way back, so I came up with another solution.
First, I found where I thought the butt should really end and I picked up those stitches.
See all that that I’m having to take out? Yeah, I definately messed up this poor monkey butt.
Anyway, after I picked up the stitches on both sides, I went ahead and cut the yarn.
And started unravelling. This part was fairly easy. I made sure to cut at the top, so that I could jut pull the end and have it all come out nice and easy. After I got it all ripped out, all that was left was to kitchner it up.
I had quite a few more stitches than a normal sock toe, and I had my children inturupting me every few minutes. But I’ve done enough sock toes now that I was able to keep my place throughout the whole ordeal. And that landed me with this:
Now, isn’t that a much better looking posterier? I think so. And, while I realize that what I did wasn’t anything really, truly difficult, I’m pretty proud of myself that I was able to identify the problem, identify the solution, and execute the solution all on my own. I’m getting pretty good at this whole knitting thing, I think.
What’s become of the monkey now? Well, I’ve finshed up his main body and head. I haven’t sewn up the top of his head yet, I still need to stuff the rest of him. Instead of sewing on a mouth, I went ahead and just did another short row heel. I learned my lesson this time and made it look right the first time, though. And I’m currently picking up the stitches and knitting the arms. That’s another change from the patterns I saw. They were all about knitting the arms separately and then sewing them on. I don’t like that look, so I’m doing it my way. I may knit the tail separatly, though, I haven’t quite decided yet. I want it to be long and so I’m weighing the annoyance factors of having to knit 15 inches attached to the monkey or having to stuff the tail and then sew it on. I’m not sure which one I like the least yet.
Anyway, happy Monday, everyone!!!